Monday, March 22, 2010

Tribute-Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

I figured I'd write a little tribute to a brewery that I think got America wanting more to a beer rather then drinking a lite pilsner. It seems they have been over looked lately as they don't have commercials ads and don't design fancy beer glasses. The founder started out like most. A homebrewer that wanted more to beer.


In 1979, Ken Grossman began building a small brewery in the town of Chico, California. His goal: to brew exceptional ales and lagers. Today, the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is considered the premier craft brewery in the United States. And the beer?Well it speaks for itself.


On November 15, 1980, the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. brewed the first batch of what would soon become a landmark in American craft brewing: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. 

Word spread quickly, and over the next decade the demand for Sierra Nevada brews soon exceeded the brewery’s modest brewing capacity. Despite nearly constant additions to the brewery, Ken was soon back at the drawing board, planning a new brewery. In 1989, the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

To this day, the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. remains true to its roots. Ken is still personally involved in every aspect of brewery operation. Most importantly, the Sierra Nevada commitment to quality remains the same. Premium ingredients and time-honored brewing techniques make Sierra Nevada ales and lagers truly exceptional beers.
My first beer that I drank that actually stood out side of the box from a standard American Commercial  beer was Sierra Nevada's American Pale Ale. It still remains one of my favorite beers to have year round.

















A beer I enjoy come Summer time is Sierra Nevada's-Kellerweis Hefeweizens- it is one of the only American Hefeweizens made using the traditional Bavarian style of open fermentation. This difficult and labor-intensive technique adds uncommon depth and flavor complexity. The hazy-golden hefeweizen is deeply flavorful, refreshing and perfect for a sunny day. To serve, pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl and pour the rest.















A good bold IPA I enjoy when I'm on my hoppy bold kick is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA. It is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.


















So Cheers to you Sierra Nevada!

1 comment:

hopshead said...

I think you just started following my blog (http://hopshead.blogspot.com). I like your blog. I agree Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is in my opinion the best commercial pale ale out there, a true american classic. Most all of my homebrews are made with the "chico" strain of yeast due to the influence of the clean yeast character in SNPA.