Friday, March 12, 2010

Going to miss you Terripan..

Well, yesterday I had my last visit with Terripan Brewery yesterday. You really can't beat paying $10 for a mug and 8 tickets for beer. I leave satisfied every time I go. I plan to have a summer road trip to come back to Athens for a day of drinking at Terripan and then go to a few pubs downtown. Then go to Sweetwater the next day.

Terripan inspired me to make the Rye Pale Ale recently. Here is a little back ground of the beer and what they have down for the ingredients.

By using an exact amount of rye, a grain seldom found in other micro brewed beers, the Rye Pale Ale acquires its signature taste. Made with five varieties of hops and a generous amount of specialty malts, it offers a complex flavor and aroma that is both aggressive and well balanced – a rare find among beers.
The Terrapin Rye Pale Ale was released in Athens, GA in April of 2002 at the Classic City Brew Fest. Six months later this beer which was sold only in Athens was awarded the American Pale Ale Gold Medal at the 2002 Great American Beer Festival, the most prestigious competition in North America. We hope you will agree with our peers in the brewing industry that this is truly one of the best pale ales in the country.

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Munich, Malted Rye, Victory Malt, Honey Malt
Hops: Magnum, Fuggle, East Kent Golding, Amarillo (Dry Hop)
Food: This beer cries out for spicy foods to match it’s hoppy flavors…jerk chicken to shrimp and grits.
Cheese: Gruyère or Manchego

After I left Terripan last night and after drinking a few Rye's I realized my make isn't to bad, I think I just used to much rye I think. I plan to play around with this recipe as a base and will have my own make of this beer.

http://www.terrapinbeer.com

No comments: